Sunday, June 04, 2006

United 93

The past few years the rage in Hollywood has been to produce superhero movie after superhero movie. I just got back from a movie that had real heroes, real men and women who risked their lives for the good of others.

I'm not sure how successful United 93 was on opening weekend or how it has done since. I'm not concerned about what the critics had to say. Contrary to what some of my friends think, I do not think that United 93 was made to turn a profit, or to be some blockbuster.

The movie was real. It showed an honest portrayal of all involved, from the airline crew, to ground control, to the passengers on the plane, to the terrorists themselves. There was nothing cheesy or cliche about this movie. There were no big speeches, no dramatic music, no evil personas for the terrorists. The dialogue heard at the beggining of the movie could be heard at any airport and aboard any plane. The stewardesses go through their routines, the passengers are talking about business and vacations with others, and when the air traffic controllers are warned of hijackings, the first reactions are always a laugh with "you're joking, right?" One comments by laughing, "there hasn't been a hijacking in 20 years, who's joking?".

I read some posts about the movie that claimed the people aboard the plane were not heroes. I agree that there was some sort of life preservation instinct kicking in, after all, human beings will fight to keep their life. The buildup of information from phone calls aboard the plane leads the passengers to realize their plane is not a "typical" hijacking, but a suicide mission. What occurs after that is a concentrated, heroic dash to get control of the plane. The leaders, with no type of training to fall back on, step up and lead the mission. The stewardesses gather any type of "weapons" for them to use like plastic knives, wine bottles, and fire extinguishers. The men do not stand up valiantly and rally the troops, instead they are filled with fear, tears welling in their eyes, with a real sense of danger and death ahead. Instead of faltering under pressure, though, they make their stand. Though scared and mentally drained, they rise and become reluctant heroes. I don't think reluctant in this case is a bad word to use. I think a hero's greatest battle is the internal struggle with fear and possible failure. A hero stands, though, and these men did that.

The last five minutes of the movie are the most intense shots I've ever seen. Men gather internal courage to charge the terrorists guarding the cockpit, they charge, break down the cockpit door, and the plane crashes. I was physically shaking in my seat. I felt like burying my head and crying and all I had to do was watch, not live this movie.

I'm not sure what else to say on this topic. Watch this movie. I'm not sure how suitable this movie is for children, it would definitely be one to talk about with the kids before and after if you were to watch it.

I wish I could say more.

1 Comments:

At 9:29 PM, Blogger mlrgrl said...

United 93 is a movie I am not ready to watch. Not because I don't want to remember that day, but because I do remember.

Today, I went to see a movie as well. A movie that is supposed to be a summer blockbuster. It isn't poignant, it doesn't make any important statements, it just fills up two hours of your time. Before the movie started, I watched the previews and one in particular took my breath away. It is another movie about September 11 and the policemen who stepped forward to help their city. The minute I knew what the movie was about, my hand went to my heart and I watched the screen intently. Shots of the twin towers on fire were shown, there were reenactments of policemen being covered in ash in the streets of New York, two policemen were buried and the entire audience saw what they went through on that horrible day.

I remember driving on 9/11. I was on my way to Chicago to see friends. We had planned the trip for months and were going to see a Cubs game. In the car, all we could do was listen to it on the radio. I said I wished I could see what was going on so I could fully understand what had happened. When we stopped for gas at a small gas station, there was a tiny black and white TV that the customers were gathered around. We saw the towers on fire. Later that night, we sat with our friends in Chicago and watched all that unfolded in New York that night. It did not seem real. It seemed like some big budget, action thriller, just without any famous actors.

I don't not want movies to be made about September 11, but I also don't want people to become immune to what happened because Hollywood can recreate it. The terror we faced and still face is too great to become complacent.

I will watch the movies, I am sure. I know I will cry; I cried today during a 2 minute movie trailer.

I hope when people watch these movies, they remain aware of what they mean and represent.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home