Sunday, May 21, 2006

Taste the Rain

I've always been a pretty big supporter of all things Gatorade. Once, while in high school or early in college I went on a Powerade trip, probably because it was cheaper, but I eventually bettered myself and switched back to Gatorade.

One thing I like about Gatorade is their willingness to experiment with flavors. They have several lines of products out such as the "fierce" line, the "rain" line, the "lemonade" line, and the "ice" line. I think I've tried every Gatorade flavor there has ever been, even the wierd Intenso Mexican Gatorade or whatever it is. I think I've only seen that in the South, though. I think there was a Citrus and a Mango flavor. Plus, I think it gave me diarrhea.

The Gatorade Rain line is the newest line of products that the company has created. It is a softer tasting Gatorade that has a less intense taste and watery composition, but has enough flavor and substance to avoid being just a flavored water. While on that topic, though, the Propel Water made by Gatorade is also very good. They have that strange sucralose aftertaste though, which would be my only complaint. Back to the Rain products; they have a berry flavor, a lime flavor, and a tangerine flavor. I prefer the berry flavor, but I've seen many people opt for the lime flavor, especially my roomate Mike, that guy loves the lime Rain. I was reading a men's magazine last weekend and there was an article that ripped apart the new Gatorade Rain line. Sorry dude, you're wrong again. Rain is innovative, maybe even life-changing, try it.

I hope Gatorade continues to experiment with products and creates more line of products in the future and more flavors. Every once in awhile I'll find the Tropical flavor, bring back more of that. How about a cherry limeade flavor? How about some tree-fruit flavors? Peach? Pear? What about a strawberry banana, or even straight-up banana? What about cranberry? Maybe some of these wouldn't be good sports drinks, but Gatorade could pull it off.

I don't know how to finish this post now, so...Gatorade!

3 Comments:

At 2:39 PM, Blogger Shawn said...

I've been throwing around the idea of a Gumbo Gatorade for a few years now, what do you think? Chunks of Andouille Sausage, okra, and a hearty gravy, all the while replenishing your depleted body of nutrients with its sticky rice. Yes.

I also decided this weekend that I do NOT like the Mandarin flavor of Rain (although still mellower, sweet/tart ratio too high), and maintain that Lime is tops. Don't challenge the 'Botron, he bites back.

All time favorite flavor of Gatorade? Prater concurs, the ~'90-'97 era Lemon Ice. Clear, tart, so refreshing when ice cold, and not as sweet as the "Fierce" or "X-factor" lines tht burn on the throat by mid-day Saturday.

Can't wait to travel with you through new flavor horizons this summer, Kevin.

Shim

 
At 10:59 PM, Blogger Ben said...

Perhaps you'd be interested in this:
http://firstinthirst.typepad.com/darren
_rovells_blog_on_al/

I had to break the link up so you could see it all but just put it all on one line and you'll be good.

My personal favorites have always leaned towards to citrus flavors but I will venture into the Fierce Grape the most often after that when I need a change. I'm into the X-Factor lines, especially the Orange+Tropical Fruit. I'm not sure how I feel about the Victory Lane Orange. I guess it depends on what I'm craving because I've had it and thought it was awesome and then other times I was pissed because it felt like I was drinking McDonald's Orange Drink.

But, I haven't tried any of the Rain's yet so I'll have to check those out.

I've probably spent at least five minutes standing in front of the display at a gas station trying to decide which flavor is best going to quench my thirst and make my taste buds happy. It's an important decision and one that I think too many people take for granted.

 
At 10:43 PM, Blogger Kevin Seiler said...

I'm not sure how I feel about the X-factor lines. The are certainly not creative, as they are just combinations of old flavors. At the same time, the combinations work and I like them.

My grandpa and grandma used to think all the juices we'd buy as kids such as 5-Alive or Strawberry-Orange-Banana or whatever were rip-offs because the juice companies just threw a whole bunch of flavors together and called it something new. I thought, so?

Now the X-factor Gatorades are kind of the same thing and I don't know what to think.

As far as flavors are concered, 90% of the time I'm reaching for a Gatorade that is red, pink, or purple. Not much yellow, orange, green, or white gets in this guy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home