Friday, May 26, 2006

Ten Random Thoughts

First, pickup ultimate is boring. I believe that you play like you practice and when you practice lazy throws and bad decision making, a little bit of that pulls through to game situations. That being said, I need to start playing better defense in practice.

Second, I don't understand disc golf discs and the way they are supposed to be thrown. I think they are all basically supposed to be thrown in a particular way that is consistent, but being an ultimate player, I frequently try to manipulate the disc instead. Maybe that is why I'm not improving.

Third, I'm finding it really hard to keep going to work. Why have I become so lazy? I'm making more money than I ever have before and much more than I currently need. My current boss is probably the best boss I'll ever have. Yet, I'm struggling to show up and to want to stay there all day. This needs to change.

Fourth, Don Quixote is a great book, especially Part II. The first part starts off great with many interesting story lines and great character development and humor, but then digresses too many times. The second part seems much more fluid than the first. I read it over the winter and would consider it one of my top 10 favorite books.

Fifth, I don't dance very well and don't particularly enjoy it. Can that be considered a character flaw? I guess I'll never be friends with that guy from Men Without Hats.

Sixth, Kool-Aid and macaroni and cheese were great when I was a kid, but while still tasty, don't seem to have the culinary effect that they used to. I'll still eat and drink these things, though.

Seventh, I've been really blessed in my life in many different ways from the people I've been in contact with, to the things I've been able to do and experience, to the talents I've been given, to the many things that I don't even know about. I can't forget that.

Eighth, there doesn't seem to be a lot of creativity in ultimate frisbee. Also, a lot of ultimate players and teams don't seem to have the ability to adjust to the style of play of their opponents. Instead of determining the best way to beat an opponent and changing their strategies and focuses throughout the course of the game, teams seem to simply "stick to the gameplan" and try to muscle out a win.

Ninth, pretty soon Jon and Dave will be moving away from Ames, I think. People keep moving away. For most people I know, Ames will just be a city for passing through and moving on. For me, it's home. I like to be here when I can.

Tenth, stay positive out there. Mustard!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home