Monday, May 08, 2006

73

Last weekend I played a lot of disc golf, 73 different baskets of disc golf.

The weekend started with Jake, Lana, and I going "mountain" biking over at Peterson Pits and McFarland Park. It was really Jake speeding around and waiting for Lana and I to catch up. He still has fun, though, and I get a great workout.

Jake, Lana, Dave, and I went down to Des Moines to play some disc golf and meet with my brother and his wife and son for supper. The course we went to play was at Ewing Park on SE 14th street. I read recently that Ewing Park was the premier disc golf course in Des Moines. I think whoever wrote that was correct, BUT, it is not the most fun to play. I'll tell about that one later. We played the pro tees all day and at Ewing Park, that meant for a lot of bogies. The average hole distance was about 500 feet, whereas the average hole distance in Ames is only about 300 feet. There was only one birdie at Ewing Park, by me!, on a hole that was only about 260 feet long. The course had a lot of trees, but not so many trees that the course was ridiculously hard. It did require "pro" disc golf status to do well, though. I shot 16 over par, for third place in the group.

We then went to West Des Moines and played the Valley Southwoods Course. Just nine holes, but some challenges among them. I think I had 4 bogies, 3 birdies, and 2 pars, good enough for 1 over par and second place or a tie for second place, I can't remember what Jake had. I know Dave beat me by one throw by making birdie on the last hole.

Then we had a little intermission and ate at Buzzard Billy's. I had lots of Anduille sausage and spices. Yum.

Then over to Grandview. Grandview is my favorite course in Des Moines. The course is difficult with long holes and some trees to avoid, but the course also has a number of birdie-able holes. Some holes are over 400-450 feet, but are long, gradual downhill holes, still within birdie range. That is fun. I don't like the last couple of holes, it seems like they ran out of room, with four of the last five holes being under 250 feet in length. That's my only complaint, though. I played really well here, shot 3 under par, the only person under par.

The sun was already starting to set, but we decided to try to play Heritage Park in Ankeny on the way home. We we arrived in the park, the sun was already disappearing below the horizon, but we tried to play fast. I started quickly, getting three birdies on the first fives holes. Then, shot three double bogies in a row. By hole 10, it was too dark to play and we had to call it a day at 55 holes of disc golf. Ankeny wasn't very impressive and I don't really have a need to go back, but I would if others were going there.

On Sunday, I played the 13th street, or Iowa State course, in Ames. Played best shot with Jake on my team. We ended up shooting 2 under par, I think, beating Jon and Dave by a stroke. Mike and Lana were 1 over, I think. We were in a hurry to get to ultimate practice, though. The first of the year. I'm excited to play more.

Later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home