Thursday, December 13, 2007

I AM

{This is the first part of a twelve part series attempting to answer the question "Who is Jesus?". The song "I AM" by Mark Schultz is utilized in this series as a reference point, and the lyrics can be found in the "I AM series" post found earlier.}


I AM

Just two words will be examined in our first piece of the series. These are two very important words, though. What do they represent?

In the Book of Exodus, a guy by the name of Moses fled Egypt to a place called Midian. There, he saw a burning bush that was not consumed by the flames. He was curious, so he approached the bush. From within the fire, God called out to Moses and proceeded to have a conversation with him about Egypt, the suffering of the Israelites in Egpyt, and God's plan for the redemption of the Israelites. Without any prior warning, God selects Moses to lead the Israelites out of bondage and out of Egypt. Moses is taken aback by this sudden anouncement. He is unsure why he is selected and is unclear why the Israelites should believe him.

Moses said to God, "Suppose I go to the Israelites and say to them, 'The God of your fathers
has sent me to you,' and they ask me, 'What is his name?' Then what shall I tell them?"
God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: 'I AM
has sent me to you.' "
God also said to Moses, "Say to the Israelites, 'The Lord, the God of your fathers--the God of

Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob--has sent me to you.' This is my name
forever, the name by which I am to be remembered from generation to generation."
(Exodus 3:13-15)


I AM. The name by which God is to be remembered by from generation to generation. It should be noted that this phrase that God used has been tranlated in many different ways. The NIV, or New International Version, translation of the Bible also lists I WILL BE WHAT I WILL BE as another acceptable form, while many other Bibles have presented it in different forms. I am no linguist nor do I have any skills of translation, but the next piece of evidence will show why I believe that I AM is likely the best translation of God's name.

Look ahead to the Book of John, in the eighth chapter. Jesus is having a debate with the religious leaders of the era and is claiming that that do not know the Father, that is God. The Jews claim that they are Abraham's descendants (if you are curious about Abraham start in Genesis 12) and that the only Father they have is God himself. Jesus responds by saying that if God were their Father, then they would not be trying to plot against Jesus, who is of the Father. The Jews ask if Jesus is saying that he is greater than Abraham and Jesus responds by saying that Abraham rejoiced at the thought of seeing Jesus's day coming, that he indeed did see, and was glad. The Jews wonder how this could be so, given that Jesus is so young and Abraham died over a thousand years ago.

"I tell you the truth," Jesus answered, "before Abraham was born, I am!" At this, they
picked up stones to stone him, but Jesus hid himself, slipping away from the temple grounds.
(John 8:58-59)

Why were the Jews ready to kill Jesus? What stimulus could have brought about such an immediate, negative, visceral response? Two words: "I AM". This was not a matter of incorrect or confusing grammar, as Jesus knew exactly what he was saying and what it implied. Through the use of the two words "I am" Jesus was claiming to be God, using the name given by God to Moses. According to Jewish law, this was blasphemy, punishable by immediate death.

This claim by Jesus is among his most powerful claims to being God. Now, you may say that anybody can claim to be God and that many have before. Not only did Jesus make such claims, but he backed them up repeatedly with miracles and wonders, in addition to fulfilling the Old Testament prophesies regarding the coming Messiah and new covenant; some of these topics will be touched upon in the series. The Israelites were looking for a coming Messiah, but the vast majority rejected Jesus as the Messiah.

For Christians, these two passages, one from the Old Testament and one from the New Testament, give evidence that God the Father and Jesus, his one and only son, are both divinity. Just two words accomplished this, two words that will be remembered from generation to generation.

I AM.

1 Comments:

At 10:05 AM, Blogger Jakerz96 said...

I am enjoying these installments. Keep them rolling.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home